Cross Border Freelancing
If you would like to know more about cross-border business as a freelancer, or as a DGA because you work abroad or if you would like us to do your accounting, please contact us.
MFFA Belastingadvies | Tax Advice
Cross Border Freelancing
Self-employed professionals, i.e. freelancers or independent contractors (in Dutch: zelfstandigen zonder personeel, zzp), working with their Dutch company in a foreign country will oftentimes have to deal with foreign or international tax rules and regulations. This can already occur in case the client lives just across the border. Because those rules and regulations can have a huge impact on your business, we provide a brief overview of possible tax consequences for cross border freelancers.
In practice, with cross border freelancing the following questions may occur:
- Do I have a permanent establishment abroad?
- In which country or countries do I have to pay taxes?
- How to prevent double taxation?
- Do I have to register abroad?
- Moet ik me in het buitenland registreren?
- How to recharge VAT?
- How to make use of tax benefits for entrepreneurs?
Preventing double taxation for cross border freelancing
Permanent establishment for freelancers
Important aspects to determine whether a permanent establishment is present:
- A fixed place of business: like a store, office or plant, but may also me a car.
- This place should be at the disposal of the business: it is not required this place is rented or bought.
- This place should be durable: in general a period of 6 months and more.
- This place should be equipped for business activities: like a dentist chair in a dentist practice.
Cross border entrepreneurship – VAT
Please be aware that the above aspects heavily depend on the facts and circumstances and therefore should be examined on a case by case basis. In addition, tax rules and regulations may vary depending on the applicable international tax treaty.
To prevent different interpretations of the implementation of tax rules it is may be preferable to get an advance opinion of the tax authorities (tax ruling).
Would you like more information about Cross border Freelancing
If you would like to know more about cross-border business as a freelancer, or as a DGA because you work abroad or if you would like us to do your accounting, please contact us via the contact form or call us 085 00 30140.
Do you have any questions or would you like to know more about our prices?
In The Netherlands: +31 (0)85 0030140
From abroad: +31 (0)20 2615615
Amstelveen: Laan van Kronenburg 14, 1183 AS
Bovensmilde (Assen): Witterweg 2, 9421 PG
The Hague: Schenkkade 50, 2595 AR
Eindhoven: Hurksestraat 64, 5652 AL